14 April, 2009

Madness?


I got to see the mash-up DJ Girl Talk perform live in Iowa City last night at the IMU Ballroom. In a word, the show was insanity, packed wall to wall with people and speakers with enough bass to rattle the foundation of the building.

Personally, I found it a great experience to see Girl Talk live. Many criticize him as a "lazy" musician who doesn't know how to make his own music, so he just mashes up others' tracks. I personally dare any critic to try doing what he does (for three minutes, let alone for two hours) and then tell me that he is somehow lazy. In his two hour show, GT didn't go out of sync or apparently make a mistake once, which is quite the feat for any DJ.

Poison Control Center opened for the DJ. They were good, but were little beyond typical indie rockers from Ames. Too much screaming for their type of music, in my opinion. Still, I was impressed by them and their lead vocalist who had an uncanny knack for audience participation.

I also managed to get some videos out of this as well, and I'll post the links to them once they are posted...

much respect,
josh


PS: To see more (cooler) pics from the concert and an article that I wrote about the concert, click HERE to visit the KRUI Blog.

No comments: