19 March, 2009

Movies and Parades

I made a conscious decision earlier this year not to go to Key West, Florida for spring break. I had the means, motive, and opportunity to do so, and I turned it down in favor of finding work for summer. This was a decision I was certain that I would grow to regret, but I am beyond enthused to say that I have been proven wrong.

I've seen a surprising number of good movies recently. Funny how that goes, whenever I see a great movie, I seem to see three or four at a time. About a week and a half ago, I saw "Dead Man," a 1995 'post-modern' western starring Johnny Depp. Bizarre film, but darkly humorous and worth looking through a few video stores to find this rarity. I also finally got around to seeing "Requiem for a Dream," and "Slumdog Millionaire," both of which I'd been meaning to see for quite some time.

"Requiem," was a beautiful film and everything I expected, if a little bit depressing. "Slumdog" also made an impression on me and I understand why it is so acclaimed now. While I think that the film is an eastern film pushed through a westernized filter, I don't think it at all affects the quality of the film. If anything, I feel that the film is yet another achievement for an already established Danny Boyle.

The St. Patrick's Day parade in Des Moines was also an unbelievable blast. It felt nice to let go for a few hours and scream my head off for beads and candy (no, I didn't flash anyone). I even managed to get a free shirt out of it, from some pub I've never heard of in Urbandale. I've even met a few more great people at the parade, which just reinforces my belief that I made the right decision to stay in Des Moines. I love spring.

much respect,
josh

No comments: